Chime is a browser plug-in dedicated to molecular visualization. It is small, fast, and sophisticated. Chime has the flexibility to control and mix rendering styles down to the atom level (but needs a somewhat complex interface [using pop-up menus] to deliver that power). It supports several 3D chemistry formats natively, including (MDL) MOL and (Brookhaven) PDB files. Chime is available as a FREE download from MDL (see below). Need help installing and using a plug-in? Go to Plug-in Help.
- Supports full 3D manipulation;
- Features dozens of rendering styles;
- Flexible selection capabilities;
- Measure distances, angles, torsions;
- Supports wall-eyed stereo pairs;
- Handles large models easily;
- Well suited for professional use.
- Menus often complex (3-5 levels deep);
- Chemistry knowledge often required;
- Displays resonant bonds as singles;
- Ball-n-Stick atoms all the same size;
- Hydrogen bonding shown with singles;
- Lacks user feedback in some modes;
- May be too complex for beginners.
- FREE download from MDL-USA (all browsers).
- FREE download from MDL-UK (mirror site).