Lasix (Furosemide) is one of the most popular medicines for the therapy of hypertension, accompanied by massive swelling. The effectiveness of this medication has been officially confirmed by clinical trials. You can buy Lasix online in Canadian Neighbor Pharmacy on beneficial conditions.
- What is Lasix?
- Mechanism of action
- Indications for use
- Instructions for use and dosage
- Side effects
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Special instructions
- Generic Lasix
1. What is Lasix?
Lasix is a trade name for a drug with an active ingredient furosemide. It is used to reduce edema caused by heart failure, kidney problems, liver cirrhosis. Some people take Lasix for hypertension and hypertensive crises.
This drug has a high degree of purification, minimal amount of side effects, and, as a result, an excellent diuretic effect. Another advantage is the availability of different dosage forms, which makes it possible to apply it in critical and planned situations.
2. Mechanism of action
Furosemide – the active substance of Lasix – affects the kidneys. It stimulates the kidneys to excrete more urine, sodium, and chloride (salt). Due to this, edema decreases. In this case, the body also loses potassium, calcium, and magnesium, which often leads to side effects. Furosemide increases the excretion of urine. Therefore, Lasix is a diuretic medicine. Lasix quickly begins to act after intake. If you take 40 mg of furosemide, the diuretic effect will begin within 60 minutes and will last about 3-6 hours. Although the speed and strength of the drug depend on how well the kidneys and the heart work. The active substance is excreted from the body mainly by the kidneys, not by the liver. The worse the kidneys work, the weaker the Lasix and the higher the risk of side effects.
3. Indications for use
Lasix is indicated for the treatment of edematous syndrome of various etiologies:
- Chronic heart failure;
- Chronic renal failure;
- Nephrotic syndrome;
- Acute renal failure, with burns and pregnancy;
- Diseases of the liver.
4. Instructions for use and dosage
Lasix tablets are taken orally, before meals, without chewing, with water. Lasix dosage is determined by the doctor on the basis of clinical indications. It’s recommended to start with the smallest doses that ensure the desired effect.
With an average degree of an edematous syndrome, the recommended Lasix dosage is 20-80 mg. With insufficient effect, the dose can be increased by 40 mg. The dose increase is possible not earlier than 6-8 hours after taking the initial oral dose. The dose adjustment occurs before an adequate diuresis. The so-called single dose can be administered once or twice a day. The maximum effect of Lasix is observed if the drug is taken 2-4 times a week.
For children, the dose is calculated depending on the weight of the child’s body. The initial dose for oral administration is 2 mg/kg. Then, it is possible to increase the dose by 2 mg/kg for oral administration. The dose increase is possible not earlier than 6-8 hours after taking the initial oral dose.
If you suspect Lasix overdose, you should immediately consult a doctor, as this condition may require certain medical procedures.
The symptoms of an acute or chronic drug overdose are mainly determined by the degree and consequences of loss of electrolytes and fluid in the body. The signs of overdose most often include conduction and cardiac rhythm disturbances (including ventricular fibrillation and atrioventricular blockade), hemoconcentration, dehydration, hypovolemia. In practice, the use of high Lasix doses can lead to apathy and confusion, thrombosis, acute renal failure, flaccid paralysis, delirious condition, a sharp decrease in blood pressure, which can even provoke shock.
The specific antidote is unknown. It is recommended to try to induce vomiting or to wash the stomach, in order to reduce the absorption of furosemide in the gastrointestinal tract, after which the patient should take activated charcoal.
Overdose therapy is aimed at correction of clinically significant disorders of the acid-base state and water-electrolyte balance, which requires monitoring of the concentration of electrolytes in blood serum, hematocrit, parameters of the acid-base state, as well as preventing or treating the possible serious complications that accompany these disorders.
- Renal failure with anuria (in the absence of response to furosemide);
- Hepatic precoma and coma;
- Severe acid-base and water-salt balance:
- hypokalemia, hyponatremia, hypovolemia, dehydration;
- Severe disturbance of urine outflow;
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding;
- Hypersensitivity to Lasix components.
The drug is contraindicated in patients with allergies to sulfonylureas or sulfonamide antimicrobials (they can develop a cross-allergy to furosemide).
Lasix should be used with special caution in arterial hypotension, stenotic lesions of the cerebral and / or coronary arteries, acute myocardial infarction (increased risk of cardiogenic shock), ventricular arrhythmia in history, latent or manifested diabetes mellitus, hepatorenal syndrome, gout, hypoproteinemia, pancreatitis, systemic lupus erythematosus, urinary efflorescence caused by prostatic hypertrophy, hydronephrosis or narrowing of the urethra, diarrhea.
In addition, Lasix tablets are contraindicated in:
- Digitalis intoxication;
- Decompensated mitral and aortic stenosis;
- Hypertrophic obstructive cardiomyopathy;
- Acute glomerulonephritis;
- Increase in central venous pressure by more than 10 mm Hg;
- Age under 3.
7. Side effects
Lasix can cause a disturbance in the balance of electrolytes (potassium, sodium, magnesium) and/or an excessive decrease in blood pressure. Symptoms – headache, confusion, dizziness, convulsions, muscle weakness, dry mouth, heart rhythm disturbances, rumbling in the abdomen, bloating, flatulence, constipation. An acute retention of urine may occur.
When patients have heart or kidney failure, liver disease, the risks for Lasix side effects increase. Also, the risk of side effects increases vomiting, diarrhea, malnutrition, and advanced age. Furosemide worsens metabolism, stimulating diabetes, gout and impaired kidney function. The drug reduces male potency.
8. Pregnancy and breastfeeding
Pregnancy, the period of breastfeeding and children under 3 are contraindications to Lasix in tablets. Nevertheless, sometimes the drug is prescribed for pregnant women with serious life-threatening diseases. In this case, you need to carefully monitor the state of the fetus.
Lasix can interact negatively with many other medicines. This is fraught with dangerous side effects. Tell your doctor about all medicines, herbs and dietary supplements that you are taking before you take Furosemide. Be careful when taking Lasix with hormonal medications, laxatives, antibiotics, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, insulin and diabetes pills. Lasix enhances the effect of drugs for high blood pressure, which can lead to hypotension. The list of drug interactions is not complete. Discuss with the doctor whether Lasix works well with each of the medicines that you take.
10. Special instructions
- Treatment with Lasix should be started after excluding the presence of severe violations of the urine outflow;
- With partial disturbance of the outflow of urine, patients should be under close supervision, especially at the beginning of the therapy with furosemide;
- Treatment requires regular studies to determine the serum levels of sodium, potassium, and creatinine, especially in patients with intense sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea;
- When there are clinically significant disorders of the acid-base and/or electrolyte state, hypovolemia or dehydration, measures should be taken to restore the fluid balance in the body. In this case, doctors may also recommend refusing Lasix for some time;
- During the treatment, the patient should follow to a potassium-rich diet, including lean meat, cauliflower, potatoes, tomatoes, spinach, bananas, dried fruits. Doctors may recommend a concomitant therapy with potassium-sparing drugs or potassium intake;
- With ascites, the dose of the drug should be chosen only by a doctor;
- At the first signs of anaphylactic shock (severe weakness, cold sweat, cyanosis, nausea), stop using the drug. Emergency medication involves epinephrine (adrenaline) and glucocorticosteroids. To restore the volume of circulating blood, doctors introduce electrolyte solutions;
- During the period of Lasix therapy, avoid driving, operating vehicles, and mechanisms.
11. Generic Lasix
This drug has only one generic analog – Furosemide, which contains the same active component. Furosemide is a drug with a pronounced diuretic effect, used to eliminate the edema syndrome, caused by a number of reasons.
Furosemide – like Lasix, refers to the pharmacological group of loop diuretics. Generic Lasix is cheaper and available to all categories of buyers. Lasix and Furosemide belong to the same price category, however, Lasix acts milder and have fewer contraindications.